Monday, October 23, 2006

The snows of November come early


snow
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Lots of snow on the ground at higher elevation. I hadn't planned to try the ascent of Sawteeth but as I made my way closer and closer the summit started to have a pull on me. I couldn't make it all the way up here and not go to the summit? Just before the final push to the summit I met someone coming down. "Pretty treacherous up there!" he said. He was wearing shorts and trail runners. The weather was 29F with a strong wind blowing through the trees. Could this guy be relied upon for wise trail advice? I chose to disregard his wisdom and pushed on.

Nevertheless it proved a difficult task as, reaching the 4000ft mark, the trails were coated in thick ice and footing became a challenge. By this point my hands were pretty cold (I'd only brought my fingerless wool gloves thinking I wouldn't be going for the top) and now they were required to grab snow covered trees and frozen rocks to insure I could pull myself up. By the time I reached the summit my hands were frozen solid. The views were less then spectacular as a low cloud clung to the summit and the Great Range was fully clouded over. I could see a little of the valley below but it was not the view I had hoped for. Nor was it the relaxing summit upon which I could enjoy my lunch and take a few pictures. With a treacherous descent waiting for me and my hands like blocks of ice I didn't stay long on top but slowly headed back down to safer trail conditions. Once I got to a lower elevation - and regained the use of my hands - I set up this shot using my hiking stick as a unipod. It was a beautiful day and - had I been better prepared - I would have enjoyed summiting the mountain a little more.

No comments: