Monday, October 23, 2006

Sawteeth


Sawteeth
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
I drove back to the AMR this Saturday for one more kick at the Adirondacks. Friday night had snowed heavily in Lake Placid. As I drove through town at 6am there was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground... why hadn't I brought my skiis!?! As I made my way around to St. Huberts and the AMR the depth of snow lessend and there was only a dusting of snow in the valley when I pulled in to park. Despite this I figured I wouldn't go up any peaks today but just explore the trails around the Ausable river. As I strolled through the golf course to the trailhead I got a good view of Sawteeth. It had a little cloud stuck on its summmit but it didn't look too bad. I decided to make for this trail and see how far I could get. The watchman at the sign-in hut advised against high mountain travel as there had been a lot of snow and ice on the summits. I advised him I would take care and not go too far beyond my abilities... little did I know. The club has closed up for the winter and there was little activity on the lake road or at the boathouse. I was early on the trails and didn't see anyone else until later in the day - what a difference from the Columbus/Thanksgiving weekend when I was last here. It was shaping up to be a great (albiet somewhat snowy) day on the trails.

No comments: