Monday, April 13, 2009

Truly a beautiful Easter weekend. The sun shone, the birds sang… and the skiing was pretty good. Alas, all good things must come to an end and I fear, as this weekend draws to a close, so too does the ski season. I skied all 4 days and little by little the snow is starting to recede. No word from the snow gods regarding my last plea for more snow. I think they’ve started their journey to the southern hemisphere so we won’t be seeing them again for a while. Double digit temperatures all this week with lots of sun in the forecast. Doesn't bode well for the snowpack.

Skiing from P10 today the walks were getting longer. Small gaps in the snow that were 5 steps on Sunday were 25 steps on Monday. In spots the snow is really nice. Above the Khyber pass and then again out towards trail 24 things were good - at times really good - but somewhere in between those two spots things are a little ugly with rocks and gravel poking through. I also skied out Ridge road from Keogan towards Penguin a ways and there the trail has reasonable coverage but was somewhat uneven thanks to hikers tromping along the trail. In fact today I think skiers were outnumbered by hikers. I guess most people have had enough of skiing for another year and are moving on to other pursuits. Bit of a melancholy ski back to the car. I don’t think the remaining snow, for me, is worth the drive up before work to get in some quick pre-work skis. Even with the short week this week I don't think there will be much snow to speak of next weekend. Maybe a little tele will be possible on the slopes of Camp Fortune but other than that I think the inevitable has come and it’s time to pack the skis away for another season. So it goes. It's been a good and surprisingly long season from October until now. Time to get the hiking gear out, scan some maps and plan a few trips… Clean up the bike and see how she rolls. And of course there is lots to do before the end of May so a lot of my time is already spoken for in the next little while. Apparently some pretty fast guys are chomping at the bit for some prize money so we've gotta get out and confirm the distances and make sure all is in order before race day arrives.

Spring is arriving so it's time to embrace it.

No comments: