Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Groomed


Prefered parking
Originally uploaded by kenmores
And I’m not referring to my stylish new haircut. I’ll have to check with Ms Morrisette but I find it somewhat ironic that after my last post declaring it likely my last ski of the season… it promptly snows for three days. I headed up this morning with a renewed chance to get some more tracks in. While the city has only seen a dusting of snow stay on the ground, the park has received 4 or 5 inches of fresh powder. Exposed asphalt, rocks and roots are now once more buried under a white carpet. Conditions were amazingly good. I’d almost forgotten how good skiing fresh powder can be as we haven’t seen this much fresh snow since February. I brought my classic skis expecting to have only a hard fought "skied in" classic track to follow thanks to my fellow skiers. Much to my surprise – like the early October snowfall some months ago – I found a groomed track. Okay no classic tracks but nice smooth corduroy up the center of the parkway. Nice of Demsis to get out there some 10 days after the official “end of the season” and almost 2 weeks after the last sighting of the groomers. Turns out they had worked the Parkway from P8, around the Doldrums and up to the “T” as well as a little of Ridge road…. But it’s better than nothing. Slow work too as they only had the skidoos out pulling a grooming sled so it took many passes to get a wide enough track for skating. As I had my classic skis with me I skied in the "skied in" track left from my fellow skiers last night (thanks for your efforts). There were signs that some individuals had skated through the deep slow snow last night. For their heroic efforts I mostly left the corduroy for someone more deserving to cut in the first tracks. Met the work crews up at gossip corner and Shilly Shally as I worked my way around for a loop. Last season, in spite of mounds of snow the skiing ended abruptly with some sustained +20C days. This year its felt like the season has been wrapping up since early March… but it keeps on ticking along. Easter skiing here we come.

No comments: