Sunday, April 05, 2009

A sunny Sunday


The Champlain parkway
Originally uploaded by kenmores
Went for a ski this morning. Wasn’t sure what to expect and wasn’t feeling too good to boot so I opted for P6 as a starting point. Might have been a better guarantee of snow higher up in the park but as it turns out the parkway was in pretty good shape (all things considered). I probably could have done a lap of the parkway and only had a handful of short walks to contend with (although the Doldrums might be pretty thin by now). A nice light snow had fallen overnight and the base was still pretty fast so skiing wasn’t too bad. I skied from P6 up to the” T” and for the most part had first (ski) tracks despite my late start. It was also a good chance to spot a few of the parks other inhabitants’ tracks left behind in the fresh snow. I saw a lot of familiar ones (geese, deer, rabbits, maybe a coyote (but probably a dog)) and a few that I couldn’t identify (what do we have that has a long thin tail?). Certainly “name that track” made the time pass as I climbed the Black Lake hill. At the top of the hill there was the only long stretch of exposed roadway but the portage along the grass was a nice change of pace. There were also other skiers tracks (coming from P10) once I got back on the snow but in the end I only saw one other skier. There were however a number of people out walking around MacKenzie King and they gave me bemused looks as I skied past. As luck would have it the sun came out while I skied and it was a nice chance to be out and enjoy the day. It may prove to be my last ski of the year though as things are getting pretty thin. In fact small patches of exposed asphalt as I skied out to the T were noticeably bigger when I skied back. We have some more rain in the forecast this week. I suppose Ridge road may still have snow next weekend but once the hiking from one snow patch to the next gets to be more than the skiing I tend to call it a season… we’ll see what happens.

1 comment:

Michael said...

It snowed today, I bet that was 3-5cm im the park!!