Thursday, April 02, 2009

Too early


Ridge road
Originally uploaded by kenmores
With the promise of a nice sunny morning I headed up to the park to get in another ski. Alas with work commitments I had to go pretty early and in the end it proved too early for good conditions. A cool night coupled with yesterdays rain left the tracks frozen solid and icy. I skied up from P7... well, skied might be the wrong term. Skittered and scraped my way up might better define it. Up top on the ridge conditions were better but the descents were pretty fast and a little bit harrowing. Once to gossip corner I turned back with thoughts of a tough descent back to the parking lot. I walked some of it and could have used my crampons at that. Its too bad as an hour or two later conditions would be excellent as the warm sun softened the tracks making for some great skiing - and I would be sitting at my desk looking longingly out at the hills. Only saw one farmiliar car at P5 as I was driving out so I assume most of the other folks were wise enough - and didn't have any early meetings - to let the tracks soften a little before heading up for a morning ski. Rain on the schedule for the next couple of days.... what will happen to the trails then...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ken,

Yeah, I went to P10 and it was too early as well. I got to Fortune Lake and realized I would have to get back down somehow. By the time I had skittered around Burma it was just soft enough to get back down. I did wear out a pair of rock ski snow plowing though!

Kenmore said...

My exact experience... I got to the Wattsford lookout and realized "how the heck am I gonna get down this thing...alive?" I ended up walking much of the descent... but it probably would have been fine an hour later. So it goes.