Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Brule


Brule
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Went for a ski last night - almost perfect conditions. Fresh snow falling, -2C. The P10 lot was crammed full but once on the trails it wasn't too bad. Most folks were in the shelters having dinner. One minor moment of drama near the lookout (the photo is from an earlier ski). As I approached the parking lot, the road sign indicating "Huron Lookout" started to move! Only moments before I collided with the moving sign did I realize it was a deer. She didn't use her signals and flaunted the rules of the road so I think I would have got off with her being "at fault" but fortunately no impact. In the darkness tho' - two (pairs) of legs seperating a large rectangular body - she did somewhat resemble the road sign. In the end I think it was indicative of the ski conditions. I was able to move pretty fast while not making much noise and she clearly didn't hear me coming. No harm, no foul so we both apologized and went on our way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I passed that very spot this afternoon and I saw the trail leading of the road and into the woods that the "sign" used to trick you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, deer, you've got to watch out for those moving trail signs! Hope she wasn't lying in wait for you with reinforcements on your next ski night.