Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The End


The End
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
That said, the trail eased with a few meters to the hut clearing and then, through the trees… there it was. The actual finish of the trail(for me) was the Hut clearing just below the summit. I'd been here before so the actual climb up to the summit cone (1/4 of a mile) was a repeat but - on a nice day - it would have been a bonus and a nice way to finish. This last mile was closing the final gap for me on the trail. With one last step I walked into the clearing and finished the Long Trail. It was a pretty special moment. I took a few snaps and then layered up for the summit push. No views today but it was nice to go up none the less. Ernesto was screaming with wind as I broke above the tree line. I had to crawl the last 100 meters to the summit marker and then crawl back down to the scrubby trees which provided some shelter. Just before the treeline I stood up and screamed into Ernesto's face… but I (nor he for that matter) heard a sound.

Back down to the hut clearing I started to head down to the car. It was 6 o’clock when I left so I was pushing darkness especially with the dark rainy conditions. I had my headlamp in my pack but on the bottom half of the trail I ran just to beat the impending dark. I signed out (with headlamp) and then had an LT ale to celebrate while I changed clothes at the car. The rain started to fall heavily so I was done just in time. Four hours later, a quick shower and I was in bed. All in all a successful weekend and I became an end-to-ender to boot.

No comments: