Tuesday, September 05, 2006

carriage road to south summit

The route down was gladly beneath the summit crest and out of the wind. This made for an easy transit over to the South summit. The trail itself, the "Carriage Road", which I took down to the Snapper trail (about a mile away) - was fun across the ridge but had all the charm of a ski station Cat track as I descended from the mountain. It was wide, covered in loose rocks and steep as all get out. I guess - based on the name - that this trail was used to bring carriages of tourists up to the summit where the old hotel used to stand. At any rate it wasn't a lot of fun to descend but I would have really hated it coming up so I'm glad I chose the route I did. I took a slight detour to spend a little time on the South summit. It was considerably quieter then the Main summit and less windy as well. With a view of the rapidly approaching storms of Ernesto I decided to head down, go find a late lunch and look for a place to camp. On the way down the Snapper trail I was treated to a rock band playing at the Ravine Lodge. I could hear it when I was still close to 1.5 miles away. I guess the Dartmouth Freshman were having a party! I wasn't invited :( but it made for a nice soundtrack as I worked my way down the mountain.

No comments: