Friday, April 04, 2008

"Forrest Gump skiing"

You never know what you’re gonna get. Skiing this week has turned decidedly spring like. We got a lot of rain on Monday and Tuesday and temperatures during the day have been high single digits. It’s still freezing overnight though so the trails are in pretty good shape. I skied Wednesday through Friday and had good albeit very different skis each time. Wednesday morning I got fresh grooming on the Parkways and Ridge road, which made for nice, fast skiing. I was a little surprised to see the trails in such good shape after the rains but I guess the groomers had the same mindset and were out working the network into shape.

Thursday after work I took the waxless skis and went for a classic ski from P12. Thursday was gloriously sunny (+8C) and getting a chance to ski (in shorts) after work in full sunshine is a real treat. I wasn’t expecting much from the trails (slush and slop probably) but was pleasantly surprised to see pristine (albeit a little slushy) conditions. Made for a great ski and a chance to sit and enjoy the sun (at 7pm no less!) before cruising back down. Friday morning I was a little early for the groomers so the tracks were a little rutted and icy but no matter (the groomers seem to roll onto the trails at 7:30am… make note!). It was still a nice ski and I took another chance (perhaps the last?) to ski across a few lakes where I met some of the parks local inhabitants (beavers and fischers) hard at work. I guess it will soon be wise to stay off the lakes as they start to soften but for right now its pretty tempting to cruise across the surfaces which are still firm and fast.

So it looks like spring skiing is here to stay (plenty of warm days ahead) and I’ll have to be ready for whatever conditions I find when I get to the Park. Lots of snow left so I should be skiing for a couple of weeks yet before the April duathalon (walk/ski/walk/ski….) sessions begin.

No comments: