Sunday, December 02, 2007

Renaud shelter


Renaud shelter
Originally uploaded by kenmores
I went skiing up at Lac Phillippe on Saturday. It was pretty cool (-15C). Worse when you got your nose into the wind but for the most part quite enjoyable. Much to my surprise there weren't too many others out and about - maybe 6 cars in the parking lot. I suppose all the early season skiers head to the more southern parking lots closer to the city. I stuck to the groomed trails which was pretty much the campground roads. Mostly good coverage although It was a little thin in a few spots but I still managed to get ~20k in. Also stopped in to the Renaud shelter at one point. The sight of smoke coming from the chimney is always welcome on a frosty day... too tempting to ski past.

I did run across two guys who were walking in to winter camp. They appeared to have enough gear to hunker down for the rest of the winter in the snow and were struggling to get their heavy sleds up the hills. As I doubled back past the campsite later I could hear their happy voices through the trees so I assume they made it in without incident.

Sunday I skied closer to town - and found more skiers out and about. Still great conditions but it was a bit of a gray day and still quite cold. Lots of snow predicted for tonight so tomorrow could be a big powder day.....

No comments: