Monday, December 10, 2007

What a difference a day makes


freighter
Originally uploaded by kenmores
A good nights rest and lots of carbs and I was able to erase Saturdays miserable effort off the books. The skiing went from "wondering if it would ever end" (Sat.) to "wishing it would never end" (Sun.). The temperature had dropped overnight and the clouds rolled over so it wasn't as nice a day but I felt 100% better. Again there were lots of people on the trails today.

I skied up Fortune and out Burma before turning out towards the firetower. Finally I turned back and did an extra loop through the Fortune valley. The tracks everywhere were in great shape. This is probably the earliest I've skied on Burma... ever. Its often late into January before we get enough snowcover to ski it. There were a few thin spots here and there that the grooming machines likely churned up but nothing that couldn't easily be avoided. Ridge was nicely set and they've even taken a stab at rolling some of the black trails so things are looking up. Hopefully I can avoid the mistakes of Saturday (if I can figure out what they were) and keep rolling through the winter.

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Never fully understood the point of those winter baby tow sled things. There's no benefit to the baby (unless freezing your ass off is good for development) and no benefit to the towing parent either. Just leave the kid at home damn it. Not to mention the dangers - grizz and I once watched a man dump his kids in the ditch. Nobody was hurt.

PS: Good to hear you're back in top ski form.