Monday, December 03, 2007

Snow Day


Feeder
Originally uploaded by kenmores
I can't remember such a big storm... and it coincided with my day off so I took full advantage. Around 40cm will have fallen over the last 24 hours. It was surprisingly cold for a snowstorm as well but this would not deter me. Took some wider skis up to the park and explored a variety of trails. Some had been rolled, some had been groomed and some hadn't seen action since last spring. I could hear the grooming tractors through the woods working the fresh snow but it must have been a frustrating job for them. At one point I skied on a beautifully groomed section of Parkway which was rapidly filling with snow - so I guess I got first - and only - tracks through there. In fact - while I did see a fair number of tracks in the fresh snow at various points in the day - I only saw 1 other actual skier. The parking lots were also pretty empty so I guess people were hunkered down waiting for the storm to pass before heading up to ski.... their loss.

Stopped into Keogan shelter for a little bit. Got a fire going and watched the birds at the feeder. It was pretty savage at the feeder as hordes of birds were scrambling for the last seeds as the snowstorm raged. Someone should put up a sign to let them know the feeder will be refilled so they don't have to get so aggressive as the seed supply drops. I suppose - with all the different kinds of birds (and squirrels) -it would be tough to pick the appropriate language to use on the sign to convey the message.

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Wish I could have joined you on the trails. This work thing just keeps getting in the way.

PS: I tried to translate a sign for you using Babelfish but it didn't have an English to Squirrel option.