Monday, December 17, 2007

When two weather systems fight...


stormy
Originally uploaded by kenmores
We got a little more snow on Sunday… then we got a little more, followed by some snowfall and then a bit of snow. Close to 40cm fell in all and it made for some challenging driving. Actually I drove up to the Park on Sunday morning and it wasn’t too bad at that time but coming home after my ski was a challenge. The storm really started to dump snow while I was out and the plows couldn’t keep up. In several places I faced white out conditions but luckily there wasn’t much traffic on the roads. I skied fpor a couple of hours in the storm making a loop in the lower half of the park. NO I wasn’t the only one out there. I actually met lots of people on the trail. If I could see under their masks, scarves and/or balaclavas I’m sure they were smiling also. It’s shaping up to be a great ski winter. I also met the grooming vehicle. This is the second time I’ve met them in the middle of the snowstorm. Seems strange to me that they wouldn’t wait (and save gas) until the storm stopped dumping snow before heading out to work the trails…. but I suppose they’re the experts (?).

The temperature was pretty cold (-13C and windy) but I stuck to the trees for the most part so it wasn’t too bad. These temperature changes are really putting a stress on my old waxing iron. I use a “Singer – no steam” iron to work my skis. It’s an old family iron that I “borrowed” many years ago. Yes I have been forced to apologise (many times) for what happened to Dad’s shirts after I borrowed it but I didn’t think wax would STAY on the iron…. And besides shiny (waxy?) shirts were briefly in style in the 90’s so maybe I did him a favour. At any rate the old iron is starting to show its age. Time to get a professional grade iron for the wax room.

No comments: