Saturday, March 24, 2007

Into the tunnel


Into the tunnel
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Today's ski was a good one. I did a lap of the Parkway and the snow has held up surprisingly well. These (spring) days the snow freezes overnight and melts during the day but Lafleur did their usual expert job of grooming early in the morning to leave a good surface with enough texture to hold an edge. There were a few bare patches but coverage was complete enough that I didn't have to take my skis off anywhere except crossing the Meech lake road. Today was a bit of a grey day so I have one more photo from Lake Placid showing the culverts that allow skiers to go under the roads beneath the auto traffic. They work great. Snow gets plowed into the culvert and then groomed up for the skiers and we don't have to run across a highway to get to more trails. Perhaps the NCC should invest in some of these along the Meech lake road!
In spite of the good skiing I expect there will only be a few more days of skiing. Temperatures in the teens are forecast for a few days so I'm putting my good skis away. I'll keep the rock skis handy tho' in case we get a rogue storm

No comments: