Sunday, March 18, 2007

The bridge at Fortune lake


The bridge at Fortune lake
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Today was a gorgeous sunny day. There was a bit of a wind blowing but for the most part, in the trees, it was warm (-1 to -5C) - perfect for a ski.

I took the classic boards out again and did a tour of some of my favourite backcountry trails. Skyline, Upper Sparks, Western, Pipe dream, even some of Highland.... all the gems. I haven't really had a chance to ski the backcountry trails as there hasn't been enough snow this year.. and perhaps that's still the case. Keeping a sharp eye out for rocks, roots and "water hazards" was the rule on todays ski. Mostly they were avoidable with some care. My skis have been pretty beat up over this season so perhaps I was a little less cautious then usual. I'll just get 'em stone ground down. "Could you grind a 1/2" off the base of this pair to get them flat again please?" ... or maybe I'll just buy a new pair.

Lots of families out today on the main trails (and even a few on the "reds"). The powder snow had been groomed down on the main trails and everyone seemed to be enjoying the day. This is likely the last Sunday ski on good snow. Hints of +17C are in the forecast before the weeks out. That could be troubling for the snowpack (if you can call it that). Still, perhaps one or two more good skis up my sleeves before that rolls around - and maybe one or two after that as well.

No comments: