Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fresh tracks


fresh tracks
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
We got a little storm blow through last night which was a good thing. Most of my skiing this week has been on hard frozen crust which - while really fast - is really really fast ;-) That is to say easy on the uphills and a little frightening on the descents. Today there was a nice layer of powder on top of the frozen crust. We didn't get quite as much as predicted but there was a good 3-4 inches down.

I headed up to the Wakefield trailhead (I was the only car when I arrived at noon!) and headed into Lac Philippe. No grooming (too soon as it was still snowing) but I had one set of tracks to follow. Unfortunately the tracks only went as far as the base of the long ridge climb and then turned back. From there to Pine road I was breaking trail. It wasn't too bad but a little slower then I had expected. Toured down to Lac Phillipe and then decided to head back. Got some nice powder descents and finally started meeting some other skiers as I got within a few k of the car. Where was everybody? This snow isn't gonna ski itself!!!

The long range forecast looks troubling. Double digit + temperatures and some rain for several days at the end of the week. We don't actually have much snow down so it could be a fast, early end to skiing this year. We'll see what happens but I think its time I switched to early morning weekday skis just to be sure I get my fill before spring arrives.

No comments: