Friday, March 02, 2007

Heading into the Tempest


Tempest
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Today was a rare treat. We got snow. Mounds of it. So thick you could hardly see kinda snow. Bryan, Mike and I headed up to Western Hut for a ski today. An excellent destination on any day but today was doubly fun with gobs of snow falling.

While the storm started early in the morning it had not amounted to much by the time we got to P12. We headed up McClosky in a light snowfall. It's a long slow climb but once we topped out we could sort of cruise (in 3 inches of fresh powder) over the trails to the Western hut. Had an excellent lunch by the fire as the storm picked up speed outside. As we peered out the windows to the raging storm our motivation to go back out into the heart of the tempest waned. It became obvious how hard it was snowing when others arrived at the hut covered in a blanket of snow.

Eventually - food and drink gone - we realized we had to head for home. The snow was coming down furiously at this point and any tracks were quickly consumed so it was fresh tracks most of the way home. The lads gave me the point so I got a few sections of "first tracks" on the descents but I suspect they let me lead to break trail on the flats more then anything. Ah well, price well worth it. An excellent day out and we should be set for a (slightly) longer ski season now.

2 comments:

Tripper said...

It was a heck of a lot different than my usual blue sky day in the GAT but I loved it nonetheless.

And I think the pint of Guinness and your trail breaking has secured you a spot on the team. Thanks again Kenmore.

Kenmore said...

Indeed, I forgot we didn't truly receive your usual "Gatineau karma".... but I'll take the fresh snow almost anyday. I made the team! Fantastic! When do I get the team gear? What's the sponsorship deal like? Travel budget?.....