Saturday, February 02, 2008

Groundhog day...


Powering down
Originally uploaded by kenmores
…and I find myself back at Nakkertok for another day of ski racing. Anyone see Bill Murray skiing the course? Actually this was a whole different set of races this week - Eastern Canadian Championships and I was simply a spectator this time. Quite a few more people this week as well on another stunning day. Mostly sunny with –5C weather although we lost the sun later in the day. We got a dump of snow on Friday afternoon/evening (~ 8-10 inches) so that was probably a headache for the groomers. Fortunately Saturday was sprint racing so they only had to have a 1.2k course up to racing snuff. It looked to be in good shape albeit a little soft but nothing that can be done about that with all the fresh snow.

I took the good camera gear and was armed with some ideas of where to stand to get some good shots based on what I saw last week. There was a pretty good field here. The world junior and U23 championships have been postponed (no snow in Poland) so all the best young Canadian skiers came here instead. Made for some good competitions. I got a handful of good shots, learned a few good photo lessons and enjoyed the ski racing - a good day. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay for the main event – the senior men’s and women’s heats – as I wanted to get a ski in myself before an evening appointment but I’m sure they were well fought. Not sure if I’ll go back tomorrow for the distance races. Tomorrow is Super Sunday and that means I have a lot to do before getting ready for some football. If I do take in the action I’ll post a few pics here as well.

P.S. a collection of rodents said 6 more weeks of winter… or an early spring. Depends which rodent you hold to be most trustworthy as a meteorologist.

No comments: