Sunday, February 24, 2008


Top Notch Skiing

This weekend was about as close to perfect for skiing as I can imagine. Saturday and Sunday both dawned around –10 or -12C but it warmed to a couple of degrees below zero by the afternoon. The freezing rain we got last Monday proved to be a minor inconvenience and the trails are in just about ideal shape. There was even a full moon this week making for some great night skiing (lunar eclipses aside of course).

I opted for a little roadie out to Murphy’s Point Park to ski their trails on Saturday. I was once a member of the Tay Valley ski club (keepers of the trails) but the couple of years I joined they never had much in the way of snow to actually ski on (a tough reality that probably makes recruiting members a challenge no doubt). This has not been a problem this year. I skied pretty much everything they have to offer all of it in excellent shape. They have some really nice roller coaster terrain – lots of little ups and downs that can be a fun ride if you can keep your momentum going. Much to my surprise – despite it being a beautiful day for skiing – I only came across a half dozen people on the trails – ahhh the country! I’m sure this wasn’t the case on Ridge road!! The grooming conditions were pretty good for this volunteer driven ski area. They even have a short skating loop (I happened to have my skate skis so I gave that a go too – sweet). Made a nice change of scenery for a days ski.


Sunday I decided to brave the Gatineau Park, which I was sure would be pretty crazy with crowds. I drove up to P17 to ski the Wakefield triangle among other things. The lot was pretty much full when I got there at 9:30 but the crowds weren’t a problem at all. The woods just kind of “swallow them up” and I found it to be easy skiing occasionally passing small groups. I used my share of wax today starting with “special blue” wax and working my way through the range (blue, extra blue and finally carrot). As the day progressed, the temperatures climbed and the warm sun glazed up the tracks making for occasional wax stops. In fact I probably could have used another stop for purple (warmer still) by the end of my ski as I had little grip on the last few climbs but I hadn’t carried my full wax box with me (it’s big and metal so it would be awkward to ski with) so I toughed it out. The sun is indeed noticeably gaining strength now. I hate to say it but I fear spring may actually come. I guess it always does but I keep hoping for endless winter. That said, no worries just yet. There are a few good mid winter skiing weeks yet to go and with all the snow we’ve had I’m sure the spring skiing will be good as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

Well yolar, I don't think I agree.

Ken, is there anywhere you have NOT skied this winter?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.