Sunday, April 29, 2007

Open Parkway


Open Parkway
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
It was a pretty wet weekend but the sun finally came out on Sunday after lunch. I went for a ride in the Gatineau, hoping for some quiet roads with the parkway gates still closed from ski season... but it was not to be. I guess the spring cleanup of the parkways has been completed and the NCC opened the gates to motorized traffic for the season. It was pretty strange being up there with cars and motorbikes screaming around. For the last few months the Park has been so peacfully quiet - skiers are a relatively quiet bunch. Now the park echoes with high revving motorbikes who treat the Parkway as their personal Laguna Seca speedway (most cars seem to obey the speed limits). The racing motorbikes is nothing a few RCMP speedtraps won't cure (a spring ritual and I believe a real RCMP moneymaker ;-) but the cars are back on the roads for the season I suppose. Two more weeks before the trails are dried up and open for mountainbikes. I suppose I can wait that long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's really a shame the parkways are open again. I wish they would ban traffic in the park from 6-10am everyday. At least that way there would be some traffic free time and no motorized commuting through the park.

Kenmore said...

Good point by you Craig. Alas, I guess it would be too tricky (read expensive) to shut down the Parkway everyday for human powered users. It is closed down for "Bike days" on Sunday mornings... so there's at least that time for us. I guess we have to accept that motorists are also "users" of the park and deserve access (just preferably at more reasonable speeds).

Not sure I'm willing to accept the commuters tho' :(