Saturday, April 21, 2007

Barn near the Luskville falls

Today I took what is becoming a spring tradition - the hike up to the firetower along the Luskville falls. It was the first really warm day of spring today (20C) with a cloudless blue sky. Perfect weather to make the climb. This hike is a great warm up to a summer full of hiking/climbing that lies ahead. A few steep pitches but never too long. Just enough to get the heart rate up and remind you that going up hill is hard work. Mike, Bryan and I went up to the firetower on the main trail and then descended (bushwhacked) closer to the climbing crags on the way down to watch some rock climbers in action. A great hike.

Some of you may be wondering what happened with the last big snowstorm Monday. Well it did snow a bunch (close to a foot) but the grooming contract had expired so there was no compaction of the trails. Many people went skiing anyway and made their own track but I decided against it. This storm exposed a weak link in my ski fleet. I wasn't prepared (for one or two days in April) to put klister on my classic skis (perhaps pure laziness on my part). What I need - for just this condition - is a pair of waxless skis. Hmmmm, perhaps I need to review some online ski shops and see if I can add another pair of "boards" to the fleet. It would be silly to miss out again next year should this or other conditions present themselves. I promise to be better prepared for next year. In the meantime I await the first snows of November... and start work on the summer climbing

No comments: