Sunday, March 05, 2006

Norway Day


Norway Day
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Norway day in the Park! A perfect blue bird sky and pleasant temperatures brought out the hordes to this now annual treat put on by the Norwegian Embassy. They host a cookout once a winter serving up vaffels and solderberry tea. Great treats for the tired skier. The trails approaching Huron lodge looked like commuter traffic as people headed in. I was reminded of the famous “Golden Stairs” photo from the Klondike gold rush era as I descended the Khyber Pass on Ridge road. Clearly the secret of Norway day is out amongst the skiing set.

I took a long ski approach to work up an appetite and then braved the line-ups for my snack. The trails were in pristine shape every where I went. I had a cup of toddy as well as a vaffel with a strange looking cheese topping which was delicious (in spite of looking strange!). It gave me enough energy to do a few loops around the surrounding network of trails. All smiles on my fellow skiers today! A pleasant ski home on the slightly less crowded Gatineau Parkway past Black lake. The skiing was fast and easy… or maybe I’m finally getting into decent shape?

No comments: