Saturday, March 25, 2006

Another beautiful day in the Park - pictures to prove it when I download them. I got an early start (~ 7:30am) and skied out to McKinstry Chalet while the trails were still fast and slightly icy. I was going to go to the firetower but I got stopped by a (wild? lost?) dog who didn't look too friendly. He was a big German sheppard and I figure he was at least 10km (by trail) from the nearest house. He looked somewhat menacing and didn't really have anywhere to run off to as the trail was his means of travel... off trail was deep soft, snow. So I turned around rather then get into a confrontation or possibly "acquire" a new dog.

Most of the return ski was fast but at 9am the snow suddenly, quickly started to get soft. Temperature was +3 or 4 with not much sun. I guess it passed some threshold where the snowpack could no longer keep itself frozen. The skiing got progressively harder from then on. As I got back to Gossip corner and turned for P10 the crowds started to grow and the trail got slushy from all the traffic. I was on the home stretch - downhill - so it didn't matter much to me but I was sure glad I started early.

The snow is still in good shape but the weather isn't going to cooperate over the next few days. It might get below freezing most nights but ~ +5C during the day. Double digits and rain by Thursday or Friday.... could spell the end of the ski season. I'll get as much as I can in over the next few days. The long awaited rest in April will give me time to get the bike ready and dig out my hiking boots.

No comments: