Thursday, December 10, 2009

That's better...

First "Gatineau" ski
"David" promised those magical words that all skiers love to hear - a "Colorado Low" and now the park is blanketed with snow. Last night I went for a short ski (trudge?) though things were pretty soft but it was still nice to be back on skis (after a 5-day lay off). This morning I went back for another ski and the parkways were nicely groomed. The tracks were still pretty soft when I started at 7 and my skis would sink 3/4" every time I weighted them. Made for slow progress but I guess someone has to be the "compactor" when we get a dump of soft, wet snow. After a few dozen more skiers take to the trails things should firm up nicely. Add to that colder temperatures on the way and the track should be really nice by the weekend. Only the parkway was groomed this morning (at least where I skied). Perhaps more will get tracked today but to be fair we only really got 8" of snow so working the side trails might be a little premature exposing rocks here and there. There was a little asphalt exposed on a windy corner and I did tap through the snow in a few spots with my poles so - while we might hope for "mid winter" to arrive overnight... it has not. But it's still really nice to be out there and getting this ski season underway on home turf! Quite a number of skiers heading up as I was coming down and all of them had a pretty good smile on.

No comments: