Friday, February 16, 2007

Johanssen pin


Johanssen pin
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
So that was the ski marathon this year. I had a long hard day on Saturday. Don't think I've ever skied that far in one day before( ~70k). As we rolled through Montebello and into the Chateau grounds (finish line) thoughts of food and dry clothes drifted through my head and carried me across the line such that the last k or so is a bit of a blur. Sunday was much more laid back as I only skied two sections (~30k). It was another perfect day and I took more time to enjoy the trail and the countryside. I was across the line by 12:30 and on my way home (with my medal pictured) by 2pm. An afternoon of lying on the couch and occasionaly eating was a good way to recover from the effort.

Will I go back next year? I'll have to think about it. It consumes a lot of time getting fit and up to speed. Covering the whole distance is a tough excercise. That said - if they have enough snow for the traditional route then I'd be interested to try it again. Perhaps I'll just do a few sections each day instead of forcing myself to cover big distance. Time enough through the summer to let the aches and pains fade from my memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken

Sounds like you had a nice time. Did you remeber to pack the Ibuprofen?

See you again soon

Dad

Kenmore said...

Indeed - I didn't have it with me on the trail but I made good use of it in the evenings....