Friday, March 27, 2009

Sunny skies meant a chance to get out and get some vitamin D. Mike and Bryan wanted to get a spring ski in so I met up with them around 10:30 at P10 and we headed off to Huron. Conditions were pretty firm with the top layer starting to melt down… but no one was in a rush today. Time to enjoy the warm weather. To my surprise we were hardly around the first bend when a fleet of groomers came rolling down the parkway. I guess they were finishing up there mornings grooming but by now the snow was already transforming into a slushy surface. Seems like they were a bit late today. Hopefully on Saturday they’ll get after it a little earlier with the big weekend crowds sure to be up for one last ski. Oh well, I’m not a grooming expert (nor do I play one on TV) so I guess they have a plan. We made our way along the parkway and – to my further surprise - the big parkway groomer caught up to us again at gossip corner and parked to chat with a friend. No time to see where he was going so we skied along Ridge road, took a quick pit stop at Shilly Shally before climbing up to Huron lookout. Ridge road was in excellent shape indeed. Upon arriving at the lookout I pulled out the cell phone to call my friend Pete at work. Nothing is funnier then chatting with a friend who is chained to his cubicle while you are basking in the sun on a great ski day. Unfortunately it backfired slightly as he was at home “sick”. Sounded like he was on his patio enjoying a beverage himself… but I can’t be sure of that ;-)

Time for lunch and a cold beverage of our own to toast the season that was. A bit of a breeze blowing but the warm sun was out now and much time was spent enjoying the rays, discussing the season that was and debating plans for the upcoming hiking season. Finally I had to push on (had to get back to work for a few minutes to make it look like I was there;-) so I left the guys at Ridge and took a quick ski down Burma road. It was actually quite nice. It hadn’t been groomed in a while but the base was firm with occasional slushy bits in the sunny spots. Once back to the parkway things were downright sloppy with water over the boots as I splashed my way back to P10. No regrets though as it was a beautiful day out in the sun… Hopefully tomorrow will be more of the same.

1 comment:

Michael said...

A stellar day indeed.

Too bad all the snow melts when it is sunny and warm out!