Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Another quick trip to the peaks

After my last trip to Lake Placid I had wanted to head back once more for another bit of skiing and hiking and this past weekend seemed to fit the bill. Weather (and snowpack) at home in the Gatineau Hills looked less than ideal with warm weather and a fresh dump of soft snow that didn't look too appealing. Sure enough a short ski on Saturday left me unimpressed. That solidified my plan to make the quick drive south where winter has been hitting hard for the last three months. Sunday I awoke extra early though it took me couple of hours to realize I had got an hour’s less sleep than I had anticipated. As I drove down I tried to sort out where I might go to ski and as I was debating it, snow began to fall… quite heavily. Looking like a repeat of my last trip I headed back to the Garden parking lot and at 8am was lucky to get a parking spot. Lots of folks climbing, camping and skiing this weekend in relatively mild weather (at -2C). Strapped on the skis and headed up the trail along the Johns brook valley. While this trail is not exactly cross country friendly it is skiable and with fresh snow falling even the tricky bits were pretty easy to ski through.
skiing across a suspension bridge
Skiing a suspension bridge was a new treat


I had heard there was some nice natural glade skiing at the outlet of “Bennies Root Canal” slide. The slide itself is still a little beyond my skill level but the glades were supposed to be at a lower angle so I thought I’d check them out. After an interesting ski across the Johns Brook suspension bridge I skied down to the access point for the slide and sure enough the trees were remarkably well spaced. I’m not gonna suggest they aren’t “naturally” spaced… but I wouldn’t be shocked to hear that perhaps some “light” pruning goes on by the locals in the warmer seasons… just sayin’. I skied up to the entry of the slide but it was a grey overcast day with a bunch of snow falling so I didn’t really get a good look. The slide went UP… and that’s about all I could tell. Turning around I did a few drops down through the trees and really enjoyed my turns before heading further up the valley to check out some of the trail network I was familiar with from summer hiking. Met a few other groups of skiers heading in to get some turns on some of the more serious slides. They were well equipped with a lot of gear so I left them to it… but maybe someday. The ski out was actually pretty fun. Hiking this trail in the summer is a bit of an unpleasant trudge. Mostly downhill but 3 miles that never seems to end. Probably no shock that on skis, well…, it goes a little quicker. A few obstacles had to be overcome but for the most part it’s a nice slide out. Good day in the woods for sure and even though it started far earlier than it had to it was a worthwhile day exploring a new corner of the valley.
Other skiers
Skiers off to ski the steeps (keeping the lens clean in a snowstorm is another thing to work on...)


Monday dawned a little cooler and with a heavy grey overcast. It was supposed to clear out by noon but I had my doubts. Today I had Mike join me for a hike. He had just started his spring break and was looking for a couple of days in the ADK. Sunday was not too his liking (too snowy) but Monday/Tuesday were expected to be sunny so it worked out nicely that we could hook up for this hike. Mike suggested we hike to Colden which has stellar views. Hard to argue with such sound logic so we loaded up at the Loj and hit the trails. I was tempted to ski the first bit up to Marcy dam and perhaps beyond but – with Mike on snowshoes – decided it would be better to keep the group together. I wouldn’t have been much faster on the way in(up) but would have left him for dust on the way out. To be fair the cold overnight temperatures meant that the snowpack was pretty solid and snowshoes weren’t really needed for the first part of the hike. Its a well trodden path all winter but the rules (laws) are clear. We passed two ranger posts along the way so why risk a ticket. The snowshoes went on at the lot and stayed there till we got back even though the crampons were often skipping off the snowcrust causing us to stumble from time to time. Of course higher up we wouldn't have been too successful without snowshoes. Several spots had DEEEP postholes from people without them so the shoes were certainly needed at some point.
Almost there
Nearing the North Summit


Up to Lake Arnold and for the most part right to the summit the track was well broken out. We met one group coming off the summit but no one else until we got mostly back down to the valley floor. At the North summit (just short of the actual summit) of Colden Mike opted to call it quits. The last push to the summit isn’t far but its steep and Mike is wise enough to know that pushing ones limits can turn a fun hike into a bit of a trial. Besides the views from the north summit are just as good and he had another day of hiking on tap for Tuesday so why push it. I still had some gas and so made the climb to the top while Mike snapped pics in all directions while waiting for my return. Colden’s summit can be quite a hostile environment in winter but today wasn’t too bad with a light breeze keeping things moderately chilly. Fortunately the snow pack was rock solid so I didn’t have to worry about spruce traps gobbling me up while I gawked at the views. Too soon I headed back down to the north summit and had a bite to eat before we packed up and headed for home. The sun had started to open up the views and while we would have liked to stay… winter cold limits summit lounging time somewhat.
Making the trudge to the summit
One last trudge up Colden's barren summit

Not ADK tough
This sled just didn't cut it (No I didn't leave it there - brought it home to recycle!)

Deep in my pack I had brought my new “snow screamer” sled to improve some of the descents… but it proved a big bust. It cracked on my first descent and split in two by the third ride. BOOO-urns! Not ADK tough I guess. I’ll have to try something else until I get it right as sliding down mountains is definitely where it’s at. The long trails down are pretty smooth and develop a nice trench to keep you on track – perfect sliding. Back at Marcy dam the day had really warmed up and the clouds had pushed off. Was really wishing I had my skis at that point as the last couple of miles to the car were pretty slow going (aren’t they always?) but eventually we got out and parted company. Another beautiful day in the mountains on the books and glad to have Mike along for the ride. A little jealous that he would be back out there the next day but I had to get back to work.

A full set of pics can be had HERE.
Now, do I head back next weekend for one more winter hike? or stay home and get started on some local spring skiing? Decisions...
Pack and Peak
Peaks and Packs - looking over to the Mac's

3 comments:

Michael said...

Nice pic with the sled and peaks. That splash of red is perfect

Jeff (Whiteface 2010) said...

My vote would have been for another weekend in the ADKs! Weather was outstanding this past weekend. Managed to get Couch and Panther (not enough time for Santa though...). Great day. 2 peaks till 46: Santanoni and Allen..

Shame about the speeding ticket near Tupper Lake on the way home...

Still enjoying perusing your blog.

Kenmore said...

Hey Jeff, Great to hear you're back in the peaks. Bad luck on the third Santa but those ones are tricky at the best of times. Two to go sounds great although a trip to Allen isn't likely for a while until the spring runoff settles down in the Opalescent (unless you bring a boat!). Soon though... Good luck!