Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Last Minute "Starter" Hike

Trail signs

Got up early Saturday morning to watch qualifying for the F1 in Monaco. As I enjoyed the racing I realized I didn’t really have a plan for the rest of the day – a rare treat! It was shaping up to be a nice one so I didn’t want to spend it at loose ends. Mike and I had been discussing the hiking season a bit on Friday and both felt it was probably too early for some of the big 4000 footers which would only just have relinquished their grip on winter. Perhaps a smaller peak might suit the bill. So, with qualifying over (and at Monaco, qualifying IS the race) I packed a bag and set off for the Adirondacks with a nice early “alpine” start of 11 in the morning. As I drove down I debated a few smaller peaks to hike. Pitchoff or perhaps a revisit of Catamount or Jay would be good but a new one stuck out in my head. I had wanted to do the Nun-Da-Ga-o range for some time. Not a long hike and mostly below 3000ft but it’s a loop hike and has reportedly good views along the way so it seemed like a good destination. When I arrived at the parking lot it was quite full but I didn’t actually see anyone on the trail all afternoon so I must have been “behind” them on the loop. I did have the rare honour of signing in after local Adirondack legend Pete Fish – a retired high peaks forest ranger with over 800 ascents of Marcy to his credit. He still maintains some of the local trails in the Keene valley including this one. Alas I didn’t meet him on the trail as he had headed up to Hurricane instead.

Lost pond
Calm waters on Lost Pond

The Nun-Da-Ga-o trail is a nice loop of about 8 miles. Except for the first part – which is a state trail to a couple of leantos, it is “unmaintained” but that seems to mean little. Locals (like Pete) clear the trail of blow down each spring and build cairns along the way so no threat of losing your way. The first (or last part) is an old woods road leading up to the leantos near Lost Pond. From there a short steep climb up to Weston mountain and then an up and down ridge walk along the range. There are a number of open ridge sections with excellent views to the south and west looking down the Keene valley and into the high peaks. Eventually you come around the loop to Big Crow mountain and then back down to the car. While it was beautifully sunny when I left Ottawa, it was overcast and looked like it might rain at any minute (but it never did) in the peaks. A broad band of sun did keep the Keene valley bathed in sunshine but it never got to me nor did it highlight the nearby high peaks. Instead a cool breeze forced me to take short breaks and keep moving to stay warm.

Weston mountain
Moments of sunshine that wouldn't last

I always find it interesting that going up mountains is a little like walking backwards in time. At home in the Gatineau Park summer conditions are prevalent. Blackflies are out, and the leaves in the trees are fully deployed. As I worked my way up the mountain I was walking backwards into spring. No bugs per se, and the leaves were just starting to bud. Trilliums and other early spring flowers – mostly done at home – were just starting to push up as I got above 2500ft. No snow and ice was found but the flat parts of the trail were pretty muddy suggesting the winter frost was just starting to leave the ground. All in all a beautiful hike. Got out of the woods around 6 which meant it was a good time for a quick pint and a 'burg in L.P. before making the drive home. Nice to find that, despite coming to the Adirondacks quite a bit in the last few years, there are still some gems to be found.

A rare sign
Time to head down

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Ken,

Some nice shots. A bit frustrating for me... I managed to do one two more hikes this winter/spring after meeting you on Whiteface (Rocky Peak Ridge, and Haystack and Basin on Easter weekend (20C!)).

However, I buggered up my foot on that monster Haystack & Basin trip, and have been out of walking commission ever since. I could have been a 46R by now, but am stuck at 40 for the time being.

Hope you're well,
Jeff N.

Kenmore said...

Bad luck on the foot pain Jeff. Certainly that's some pain I can relate to having some bad ankles... but soon enough you will be back out there I'm sure. The mountains will wait for you ;-)