Saturday, March 06, 2010

Would that every day were as nice...

Hard to imagine a better day to be out skiing. In spite of the “Bad conditions” sign at the parking lot I got out at just about the right time of day choosing to head out to P16 and ski the Pine road. The groomed trail was just a little icy as I started and then just starting to get slushy in the direct sunlight as I finished so my timing was good. The temperature rose from maybe a couple of degrees below zero to a couple of degrees above before shooting up in the afternoon (after I was home) to +8C and there was nary a cloud in the sky. The so called “bad conditions” were actually pretty good. The skating lane did have a few ruts and ridges in it… but nothing overwhelming or difficult to ski over. To be fair the classic track was a little shallow but I found it quite serviceable as I jumped in to coast on a few down hills. I skied out to the Lac Phillipe campground along the road before returning from whence I came. Quite a few people out along the trail enjoying the weather as well. Might have been a bit of a chore to get grip wax dialed in but the skating was fast and easy. Upon returning towards my car I made a quick detour over to Meech Lake to take a little time on “the bench” and soak in the sun.

Herridge lodge
Why sit inside on such a nice day?


Days like these are hard to beat but of course this indicates that the end of ski season is drawing ever closer… which just seems too early. The weatherman is predicting these warm days to continue but at least it’s getting pretty cold at night. That will be good for the snow pack as it melts down during the day before re-freezing overnight. I can certainly see another couple of weeks of skiing but will it make it to April? Time will tell I suppose. Maybe we’ll get a big dump of snow to freshen things up.

Natural ski rack
Enjoy it while it lasts

2 comments:

Tripper said...

Great to see sunny skies in these photos but unfortunately it is at a cost.

Unknown said...

Cheer up, maybe we will be hiking by mid april!!