Monday, March 29, 2010

I think that's it...

Clash of seasons
Clash of seasons - These guys rode the full lap of the parkway

Went for likely my last ski of the season on Sunday. Just a little tour up the parkway from P10 and out towards Black lake. Except for walking ~100m up the hill from the car to find the first snow I was surprised to see I didn’t have to take my skis off at all. A few spots had a narrow ribbon of snow along the edge but all were connected so the skiing was good. I took my waxless skis and was also nicely surprised to find the classic track was in pretty good shape – solid tracks with a slightly slushy base for good grip. Even with a good ski though I think that will be it for me. As I skied yesterday I met more walkers than skiers and even the pair of cyclists shown above. Perhaps that should be the sign of the end of the season more than anything. Today it is raining and by the coming weekend temperatures will be in the 20’s. That doesn’t bode well for the remaining snowpack so it’s time to clean up the skis and think of summer pursuits. I always say if you can ski into April then it’s been a pretty good year. Well I can almost see April and yet I don’t think I’m gonna make it. This has probably been one of the shorter ski season I can recall. A late arrival of snow and now an early departure (and not a lot to rave about in between). With luck that will mean next year will be A++ with snow falling early and often!

Ribbon of snow
Headed for home

No comments: