Monday, January 18, 2010

Grey day to celebrate MLK

End of the road

This past weekend was pretty grey and dreary but there was some lovely skiing to be had. Most everywhere I went there were freshly groomed tracks and fast conditions. Add to that most of the ice up in the trees came down on Friday so we're mostly past the bombardment from above phase. Monday I skied to the Tower and then poked around some of the BC trails like Western, 22 and 18. The snow was pretty coarse and my wax only lasted about halfway on my loop before I had to resort to skating the climbs and double poling the flats. Still nice to be out though. Conditions off the groomers were a little tougher (icy and choppy) so I think I'll wait until we get some fresh snow before heading back in there. There was evidence of the trail clearing crews hard at work. These folks sure must be tough. They're working the trails on foot - no snowshoes, no skidoos, no skis... just postholing down the sides of the trails all day clearing and cutting bush (and leaving the ski track in good shape down the center). I took a few more pictures on Monday but clearly I wasn't alone out there as there are some very (very) similar shots to mine here. Similar (photographic) eye I suppose ;-).

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Great shot of the tower in winter. Now join me in prayer as we call to the snow gods for more fluffy white stuff.