Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chilly yes but we still need some snow...

Woke up this morning with intentions to head up to Nakkertok to watch some of the Eastern National races but the man on the radio said it was -23C (windchill -31C). As I thought about it - under my covers - that temperature sounded too low for race officials to start a race. It was going to warm up through the day into "legal" racing territory but when exactly that would happen I wasn't sure. Even if it was "legally" warm enough to start a race, I didn't think it would ever get warm enough to stand around and spectate... so I opted to go skiing myself instead.
Beautiful trail conditions
A little fresh snow on a chilly day


Headed up to P19 where I found the wind had died down and it was actually quite comfortable. Skied the Taylor Lake loop and then headed down trail 50 before getting into the backcountry and climbing trail 54 black. There was 4 inches of fresh snow on top of a hard, frozen base and things started out well. As I got higher up the trail however it became clear we don't really have enough base for this trail as of yet. Small creeks to be crossed had a thin layer of ice (someone had taken a brief dip). Roots and rocks were exposed in spots making things tricky. The final climb up to Lusk lake - which more or less follows a creek bed was just that... a rocky creek bed. It was easy enough for me to skirt from side to side and pick my way uphill but I wouldn't want to descend through it. Still, upon reaching the top of the pass and skiing along Lusk Lake the conditions improved and before long I was back to the groomed trail 54 blue. Made a quick stop in Renaud hut to warm up a bit and have a bite to eat before skiing back to P19. Not too many folks out braving the cold but I suppose that would be expected. Those I did see seemed to be enjoying another sunny, bluebird sky day. A little dump of snow would really help conditions on the whole but - with the season now probably half over - I guess we have to take what we can get.

Refuge on the lake
Lusk Lake cabin is always a happy sight

2 comments:

Michael said...

So you did not go in the cave?

Tripper said...

Looked like a great day but I do agree we need MORE SNOW!! Still nothing significant in the long range forecast. :(