Sunday, January 04, 2009

Last ski of the Christmas break

Today I took the opportunity to ski around the Lac Phillippe sector on the last day before heading back to work. The conditions were beautiful today as yesterday's frosty winds had subsided making for comfortable skiing. As it turns out I picked the wrong end of the park to ski if I was looking for fresh grooming as not much had been recently groomed. Apparently they worked the lower reaches of the park pretty hard. For the most part however the conditions were okay. Still lots of debris on the tracks from last weeks wind storm including a monster tree which had been cleaned up/off the trail with some serious chainsaw work. After looping up to Lusk Lake I skied out to Taylor lake and discovered they had relocated the Taylor Lake Yurt this year. Its now sitting a little further along the lake on a nice point under some big pines. Nice spot and perhaps a little more sheltered than its previous location. Took a quick look inside and it looks like it would make a nice spot for an evenings stay. Back to work tomorrow which means evening skis... although I suppose I could start some morning skis as the days are getting longer now. With the buses on strike though I expect I'm just putting myself into a traffic ordeal with morning skis. I'll stick to night skis for a while until the City settles the strike and gets the buses rolling again.

No comments: