Saturday, November 22, 2008

The shoulder season continues...


Ampersand summit
Originally uploaded by kenmores
Still no significant snow in Ottawa. I was originally scheduled to work on a field project on Saturday but with the extremely cold overnight temperatures we decided to scrub it for a warmer weekend. During the week I had been invited to hike Algonquin on Saturday (declined because of work) but the late change in plans left me unable to get my act in gear fast enough to tag on. Ahh well, I'm sure there will be a next time. Friday night, as I tried to work out how I could use my newly acquired free time I was strongly (I mean strongly) tempted to head to Barrie where fresh lake effect snow off of Georgian Bay has fallen and the ski centers are open for business. It’s a long drive though and I think some snow will start to fall in Ottawa this week. With luck I should be on skis again before next weekend (fingers crossed).

Instead I opted for the much shorter drive to Saranac Lake where I continued to enjoy the ‘tween season. With a relaxed start in the morning I got my gear and headed off. Got down around lunch time so I popped into my favourite deli for lunch (smoked turkey, honey bacon with a chipolte mayo on a toasted Kaiser....) and then headed over to Ampersand mountain. There was a little snow on the ground and some more gently falling as I hiked up this nice little peak. This is one I’ve heard has a great view but today’s snowy clouds were going to preclude much in the way of views. I suppose they can’t all be bluebird days and how would you appreciate them if they were? The first half of the trail was easy going but as it turned steeper I was forced to strap on some traction to clamber up the now icy rocks. The steep trail had become a static waterfall and the beautiful rockwork staircases now coated in crystal. A few people I met were using crampons but mine never came out of my pack - instead opting for the lighter Yak Trax. I even met some guys who were bare booting ... but they were clearly out of their "happy place" with grim looks of focus (fear?) on their faces and slow methodical foot placement on each step. Once onto the open summit the wind buffeted me around. I took a few shots but as you can see the view was somewhat sub par. Ducked back into a hollow and changed into some dry clothes and had a brief snack before starting down. Got out before darkness fell (which falls ridiculously early these days) and then rolled home. Nice day out on the trails… but I’m still looking for an Alberta Clipper or a Colorado Low… I’ll even take a Nor-easter if it comes far enough inland…. David Philips, where are you man?! Give me something I can work with…

No comments: