Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The ski season commences


Sunrise on happy skiers
Originally uploaded by kenmores
Got up this morning to a good dusting (dumping?) of snow. The weatherman had warned us well in advance so Ihad my gear ready and waiting. Sadly I couldn't convince my work collegues to rescheulde a 9:30 meeting (cause surely the traffic was bound to be bad guys!?). Instead I was forced to have my car loaded and hit the road to the park at 6am to get my first ski in. The roads weren't actually too bad until I got to the bottom of the short hill up to P10 - where I found no plow or vehicle had passed since the snow started. I decided not to chance getting stuck and instead headed back to P8 where I found signs that the groomer had been out.... no way? Way! With that good news I grabbed some good skis out of the car(I'd brought a couple of pairs just in case), strapped in and headed off for my first ski. It was actually quite good. I met the groomer coming back along the parkway having only groomed the P8-P9 stretch but whose complaining. As I drove up I expected a slow slog through wet heavy snow, break your own trail, ski a bit (to say I skied in October) and then head home. Instead I had a couple of laps of the Doldrums on pretty reasonable tracks. It was sometimes spongy and occasionally wet but it was tracked. The sun was starting to rise as I got back to the car and my first fellow skier was just getting going. Until then all I had seen was a few deer and heard the distant quacking of some confused (and possibly angry) ducks. Left a couple of smiley faces (as seen here) for the skiers that followed and then headed home to get to that early meeting. Snow might even be there tonight so I may go back for one more ski before it melts away, but a nice start to the season never the less.

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Wow. That was one crazy October night. And to think that I'm considering camping at Charleston Lake this Saturday... interested?