Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reconnoitering in the Central Adirondacks
Sunday dawned under warm sunny skies. I slept late with no particular plans after yesterdays big hike. Lots of cars roared by me on the nearby road – headed to high peak trail heads and long days of their own but I took my time pumping some water, making some breakfast and packing up camp. No rush today. In the end I decided to hike a firetower peak and then do a little exploring around the central part of the Adirondacks. I was quite close to Vanderwhacker mountain so opted for that one. It was a 6 mile hike with a good climb but it would only take me a few hours so that sounded like enough hiking for the day.

The walk started off very gently past beaver meadows but finally it made a sudden tilt uphill scrambling to the summit ridge. Sadly the clouds started to roll in while I climbed but along with the clouds there were cool breezes so they weren’t totally unwelcome. When I reached the firetower the views were quite limited but I enjoyed watching patches of sunshine run up and down the nearby hillsides for a while.

The descent was fast and soon I was off driving through the central part of the park scoping out trail heads and even an x-c ski center I’d heard about but never visited (no snow there yet ;-). I debated stopping at the Adirondack museum in Blue Mountain lake but – with cloudy (sometimes rainy) weather - the crowds at the museum were pretty heavy. Overall I enjoyed my drive and discovered there’s a lot to see further in to the park so I’ll have to come back and explore some more.

No comments: