Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas ski


Kennedy Road
Originally uploaded by kenmores
I got an excellent ski in on Christmas morning. I went up to the Wakefield trailhead and looped around in the northern part of the park. The NCC has reopened the Kennedy road to skiers after closing it for snowmobiles for the last few years so I went to reacquaint myself with this trail. I looped around to the Lac Phillipe gate and then toured out to Taylor Lake and finally up to Herridge/Healey lodges before heading back to the car. Everything was freshly groomed so conditions were really good. In fact I perhaps lucked out a little bit as - once I got to Herridge lodge - the rest of Pine road connecting the southern part of the park had not been groomed as yet. I guess the Wakefield crews turned around there and went home at that point. There was one open "water hazard" right near the parking lot where the past weekends rain had ponded and not frozen over but it was easily avoided. For the most part I had the trails to myself seeing only 5 or 6 people all day. There were other cars in the lots tho’ and the lodges were pretty busy with skiers having a Christmas brunch. All in all a great ski out - and the sun shone the whole time I was out with clouds rolling in only as I got back to the car.

4 comments:

Michael said...

happy birthday / merry xmas

Kenmore said...

Thanks. In retrospect I really scored with the sunny weather. It's been steel grey clouds for most of the week.... but the skings been great regardless. Happy New Year...

Tripper said...

Happy B-day, Happy Xmas, and Merry New Year.

Sounds like you had a great ski day with near perfect conditions. How many kms total would that have been? You should have a running total for ski kms posted at the top of each blog. And then a running hiking total in the non-ski season.

Cheers,
Tripper

Tripper said...

PS: Your blog title says Dec. 26 when it should say 25.