Sunday, February 19, 2006

Asticou


Asticou
Originally uploaded by kenmore_photos.
Spent this Sunday chasing the elite athletes running in the Keskinada loppet in Gatineau Park. This 53km ski race is an annual event round these parts. As luck would have it the race seems to fall on the coldest day of the year and this year was no exception. Saturday's races were pushed back (and shortened) when the 9am temperature read -22C with a windchill of -32C. Unfortunately no one told me they had shortened the course and so I skiied up into the far reaches of the park and waited... but no one came! Actually, it became clear that they weren't coming when I found that the aid stations and course marshalls were not at their posts.... but I still had a cold ski in to find this out. Sunday's races went off as advertised (only -17C at the start) but I had made some inquiries before skiing out to find them.

No comments: