Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Be careful what you wish for...


rockyfallsleanto
Originally uploaded by md_price
I’ve had some bad luck the last few weeks so no recent posts. Two weeks ago I took my camera to go paddling in an “authentic” (fiberglass) Voyageur canoe with my Dad and niece… but managed to forget to put a memory card in the camera. Last weekend I headed up to the ‘Daks with Mike to go bag a peak. The day started off badly. The alarm didn’t go off and I awoke at precisely the time I was supposed to meet Mike across town!!!! Desperate run to grab gear and race up to the meeting spot ((un?)fortunately only 15minutes late and Mike was still there). In the mad scramble I forgot my sunglasses (no big deal) and later discovered I’d forgotten my camera as well. Those disappointments aside we made the drive down and picked a loop hike to Mount Marshall. The weather looked a little sketchy so we decided this would be a good one as – if the weather turned bad – we could still have a good lowland hike and forget the actual summit push.

Geared up (sans camera) we started along the Indian Pass trail but a couple of miles in I stepped on a loose rock. The rock rolled and my boot sole gripped so the only thing left to give was my ankle…. with a rather loud crunch. #%^@%!!! Another chance to use my medical kit..... in two successive hikes!

It’s the kind of thing that could happen anywhere on the trails so perhaps I was lucky to be so close to the start of the hike. A quick examination of my ankle at a nearby stream showed it looked like someone had slipped a tennis ball under my skin. It was clear the day was done. I iced it off in the stream and then wrapped it with a bandage. From there it was a slow hobble back to the car and the drive of shame home. On a positive note it looks like it rained (heavily) on Marshall – one of those really “localized” showers I suspect - so I think I saved Mike from a dreary trudge in the rain ;-) This was Mikes second failed attempt at summiting Marshall so I suspect he will not be asking anyone to go with him on his next try (or perhaps I shouldn’t go with him when I go back…). Almost a week later and I have pretty good mobility but the tendon that “let go” prevents me from certain kinds of movement (no rotation of the foot without great pain) so it could be a few weeks before I get back to the peaks. So it goes. I’ll try and do some riding this weekend. The photo – Mikes – is from the lean-to we stopped at to ice my ankle. It’s actually a nice little destination in itself. I camped here some years ago with my friend Mark…. but found the babbling brook (while quaint) not conducive to a good nights sleep.

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Ouch. Seems you've lost your mojo. Hope to see you back on the trails soon.