Monday, June 25, 2007


Pyramid Peak
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
Saturdays hike was a “solstice hike” of sorts. There is a tradition amongst hikers to go out and hike the longest trail possible on the summer solstice - because it’s the longest day of the year. Many of the “ultra hikers” report 14-hour hikes with many thousands of vertical feet – truly remarkable challenges. I am just NOT up to that kind of distance and time as yet so I tried something a little more manageable… but still one of my tougher hikes to date - a traverse of the lower Great Range.

As I slept Friday night I was periodically awakened by falling rain … this was bad news, as I feared the rainy clouds might not move off before morning. Indeed when I awoke, the Great Range was still shrouded in clouds. I debated my options as I drove to the trailhead and finally decided that I’d take a chance that the clouds would burn off as per the forecast. My target was to be the lower half of the Great Range – 7 peaks (5 of which “count”) and 16 miles of trail. I would cross Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower Wolf Jaw as well as Pyramid and Hedgehog mountains. There was probably 5000ft of vertical to cover. It had me a little intimidated at the start but there were bail out routes along the way…. routes that were not needed in the end. It was truly a spectacular hike. Hard to be sure but I was rewarded with some stellar views along the way.

The photo is from Pyramid peak – a sub summit of Gothics that sits in the heart of the High Peaks. This is by far the most amazing view I have ever had on a mountain and one I’ll have to return to in the future.

Sawteeth 23 of 46
Gothics 24 of 46
Armstrong 25 of 46
Upper Wolfjaw 26 of 46
Lower Wolfjaw 27 of 46

No comments: