Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gothics


Gothics
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
One more shot from the Saturday hike. This is looking up to Gothics from Armstrong. Gothics, from almost any other angle, looks like a big, wide, rounded summit (check out the photo in my August 8th - 06 post). From here though it looks like a narrow arrete with a pointy summit. It was an interesting view of a mountain I'd been around a few times. It was also an interesting scramble down the ridge to get to where I'm standing now. Lots of precipitous slabs to clamber down - fun.

The temperature on Saturday was surprisingly cool. It chilled down to 6C when I woke up and was only 10 or 12C (at most) when I was on the ridge line. There was also some strong winds blowing from the NW so each time I stepped into the open (after sweating up a storm climbing a ridge) I was greeted with icy blasts and had to scramble to get a jacket on before I quickly chilled off. It reduced my summit time somewhat... but not too much. On the plus side all of the bugs seem to have perished (but were probably hiding) from the cold so I had a bug free day. Not the mid summer weather I had expected but in the end it was still a pleasure to be out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! Hmmm adding 5 to your total, you are catching up to me fast!

Mike