Sunday, March 11, 2012

The weather(wo)man giveth...

and then taketh away. Since the last post, "powder season" has ended. It lasted about 10 days in all - perhaps apropos given the abbreviated ski season we've had this year. Still, it was good while it lasted with endless loops in the winding network of BC trails that the park has to offer. "What about over there? Ohh, that's a good idea" was often heard rattling around in my head - and so back and forth I cris-crossed the trails trying to touch them all. Of course I didn't get to them all because I assumed it would go on forever... well, for a week or two more anyway. My annual "redline" project seems doomed to fail now as I still have a handful of BC trails to ski this season and they certainly aren't in the best of shape. A couple cross ponds and I'm not keen to swim them... but so it goes. They'll wait for me next year.

Pontiac lookout

In it's place, powder days have been turned (rather abruptly) into spring skiing. A few double digit days and a whack of rain have done a lot to reduce the snowpack in town. In the park spring still has a ways to go but the weather(wo)man is working hard there to. Some more very warm days ahead. Spring skiing could be a short romp as well. Not making the same mistake this time tho'. Getting some good tours in before the snow melts away. Not sure if we'll ski into April but another week is surely in the cards. Today I got a (last?) "firetower" mission in the books on perfect corduroy. Had to overcome DST by getting up extra early and skiing fast to beat the warm sunshine but I got it done in good order. By the time I was closing the loop the warm sun was starting to turn the top of the snowpack to slush which slowed things down tremendously. It did however make the descents a lot of fun so not complaining.

Climbing 2Perfect corduroy for those up early enough

This week could be a lot of early skis before the day gets too hot and turns the tracks to slop. Gotta ski on before it's gone.

Always niceBluebird day at the tower - hard to beat

No comments: