Thursday, June 02, 2011

Where did May go?

Last post I wrote was back in April with the snow melting and the skis being packed away. Since then it’s been a pretty wet spring. April showers begat May showers and we’ve only now had a couple of hot sunny days to enjoy. For the most part I have been trying to squeeze a ride in here and there. Haven’t managed any significant trips to the woods although I did help my friend open up his cottage one weekend. For the most part time has been spent getting ready for Race Weekend. That consumed a lot of my waking hours… and quite a few of my sleeping hours too but so it goes. In the end all went off pretty smoothly. Four (of six) new courses wound through the city. For sure there was a bit of inconvenience to some people trying to get around town but I hope not too bad. Certainly the runners had fun and seemed to like the routes so perhaps that’s most of the battle. With luck we will only slightly tweak the routes next year so the work load won’t be as much… but time will tell once all the “reviews” come in.
Leaving Little Italy
Happy(?) runners heading down Preston street


As a simplified update I thought I would just add a few photo’s form the last few weeks. I have a few trip ideas coming up in the next couple of months so perhaps I’ll have some longer updates then.
Not quite swimming season yet
A bit early for a swim in the lake when I went up to the Maniwaki cottage... but there were no bugs!


Evening rides
Evening rides before the parkway was opened to cars were pretty nice


Doldrums sinkhole
The collapsed culvert along the "Doldrums" (and a section of closed road) will make the typical cycling loop around the Gatineau Parkway somewhat different... but there'll be rollerskiing available all summer - so, good and bad


High(low?) fives handed out
Spectators came out on marathon Sunday despite the rainy weather - and cheered, high (low?) fived, and generally encouraged the runners


flowers
And of course all the rain means that - eventually - the flowers will bloom

No comments: