Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Progressing into Fall

Haven’t made an update in a while as my outdoors activities were somewhat setback in August. Tried writing an update a few times but they all came out pretty negative so I chucked them. In truth, my foot has been progressing nicely and I’m now mostly mobile once again and can comfortably walk on nice flat, even surfaces so staying home from work is out of the question (in truth I only missed a day and a half of work so it wasn’t really a big winner in that regard  ) While I was laid up summer came and went. It was really only 7 days long this year so I didn’t miss much in the big picture. In the last 2 weeks I’ve been able to start riding the bike again which has allowed me to stretch the atrophied muscles. It’s surprising how a couple of weeks of absolutely minimal physical activity have destroyed my riding strength. I’m pedaling complete squares these days but am slowly getting some riding shape back under me. Riding up steep rocky trails is still a little much stress for my foot but I’ve taken to riding the Prescott-Russell rail trail where I’m able to manage riding the steep, arduous hills (1% grade over 5 km) without too much pain.

Riding through the archway...


This past weekend was pretty wet but I went out riding regardless. Managed to dodge some of the bigger storms but still got wet. Smells like fall is just around the corner. Surprising how cool the evenings have gotten in the last week or two and its cut the bug population down to size nicely. Certainly the trees are starting to show some colour (colours other than green). With luck I’ll be able to get back to some hiking soon. Don’t want to miss out on the fall season. Went for a short walk off trail near my house on the weekend but my foot expressed its displeasure with that idea so I guess there is still a little recovery time yet. It’s gone all September on me though and thoughts of the coming ski season are starting to fill my head. Don’t want to jeopardize that by reinjuring the foot and going back to square one. At the same time I’ve got to get the fitness level up… so it’ll have to be on the bike for now.

2 comments:

Tripper said...

Guess it's all up to me to witness Mike's climb to infamy. My fitness level is definitely not where it should be but hey, that's what the fall hiking season is for, right?

Get well(er) soon.

Unknown said...

Sounds like an opportunity to take up the game of golf! I know you are patient enough. Perfect weather for it this week.