Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Home
This past weekend held some excellent skiing. To be honest, after coming back from above zero weather on the west coast, it was hard to get excited about going out in the -20C Ottawa weather that welcomed me home. It took me a few days to finally don the extra layers and head out into the park and in the end I was glad I did as fresh snow had fallen and the trails were in excellent shape. On Saturday I had made some vague plans with Mike to meet at Lac Phillippe. I got a really late start so when I arrived at the lot he had already headed out. I chased hard but turns out I went down the wrong trail so I didn’t catch him. Rather we bumped into each other at the Taylor Lake Yurt so it worked out rather well. From there we broke trail across the Lake and up to the Pontiac lookout. Bluebird skys with just a little cold wind made for an excellent climb and an even better descent. Back at the Yurt we opted for the same trail I had skied up in the morning but no complaints as 55 is a beautiful little valley to ski down.

On Sunday some weather had moved in. In the morning it was reportedly freezing drizzle at -13C. How does that work? Who cares as the end result was all the trees were frosted with a light coating of… ummm, white stuff. No, not snow and not ice either but rather a strange combination of the two. Looked great whatever it was. I toured around the backcountry trails linking one together with another. Tried hard to minimize my time on the groomed runs but occasionally I popped out and was “forced” to ski in perfect tracks before picking up another powder trail. Another great day out on the trails and glad I’m home

No comments: