Saturday, January 05, 2008

The big traverse - a failed effort


Along the Pine road
Originally uploaded by kenmores
Today I decided to try one of the big circle routes in the Gatineau Park.... but didn't totally succeed. The weather was near perfect after a cold snap we had earlier in the week. Today it was -5 when I started an it climbed to about 0 C when I finished. The snow (and grooming) were perfect. Tomorrow (and for the next few days) we'll be into a January thaw with double digit temps and rain so conditions are about to change. With the weather looming the crowds were certainly out in force this morning trying to get a ski in while the conditions were still good.

My route today started at P11 and went out behind Meech Lake before cutting over to Pine road and the trail to Lac Phillipe. From there it was up to Lusk Lake. The plan was to take the "lost and abandoned" trail 10 which climbs up to Ridge road from Lusk lake and then loop back along Ridge returning to P11 for a great circuit. Unfortunately it didn't quite go as planned. The trail 10 isn't maintained by the NCC anymore but it does still get skied in by those who remember it - backcountry conditions only. Today the snow was deep and soft - I guess not too many have gone this way this year. My poles - clearly designed for track skiing kept sinking deep into the soft snow making for difficult climbing. Finally - about a km up the traverse trail one pole slipped beneath the surface and broke the tip clean off. With a few more km of climbing before reaching Ridge road I had to make the tough decision to turn back and go home the way I came... with one pole. In fact I was probably ~ 1/2 way around the circuit but the long stretch of backcountry trail (uphill all the way) in front of me would have been a tough slog with only one pole so I opted for the easier route back to the groomed trails. So it goes. There'll be other chances to ski through here yet this winter so I'll be back for sure. The rest of the ski became a great "legs only" workout so not all was lost. Even with one pole it was still a great day to be out.... and I saw lots and lots... and lots of people out skiing who would surely agree with me.

2 comments:

Tripper said...

I can relate (although on a smaller scale). My first ski of the year was a one pole effort as I slipped and broke my pole in the parking lot only seconds after slapping my skis on. I too still managed to enjoy my ski.

Michael said...

Fellas, you should subscribe to this blog ( http://highpeaking.blogspot.com/2007/12/ski-brakes-and-repair-tips.html ). There is plenty o useful info there!!