Sunday, November 04, 2007

A weekend of highs and lows

The weekend started and ended well... but somewhere in the middle things got off the rails. Saturday morning was the "Cookie Run" - a 5/10k race that I've helped out with for a few years now. It supports the Girl Guides (hence the name) so there are usually lots of cookies for sale. Always a fun morning, the day was perfect - sunny and cool. We got a good crowd out and I even managed to get back to the start/finish area in time to buy a few boxes of cookies.

Shortly after this - once all the happy runners had headed home - I had the task of putting some of the gear back in the storage garage and somewhere in my haste I managed to jam my fingers in the rapidly closing garage door. The rest of my Saturday went poof in a blinding bit of pain. An afternoon at the hospital, two broken fingers and the rest of the day watching TV with my hand elevated left me deciding to downgrade my Sunday plans. I had hoped to do a "High Peaks" hike but felt now that it would be unwise to head into the deep wilderness with 1 1/2 operating hands so I picked a slightly easier goal - St. Regis mountain. I can hear you saying why hike at all.... but I spent most of Saturday sitting around so I wasn't gonna waste a perfectly beautiful Sunday as well! Plus there's an extra hour in the day (daylight savings time) so that had to be put to good use!!

St. Regis is a short drive into the Adirondacks and Sunday was a beautiful fall day - temps in the +8C range and mostly sunny. The hike itself is pretty straightforward - a couple of gentle miles to warm up on and then a short steep climb up to the summit. The firetower is in pretty rough shape but you don't even need it as the views from the summit are pretty much uninterrupted. Spent a half hour basking in the views before making the short trek down. All in all a good Sunday after all so at least the weekend ended on a high note.

Now to see how the injured hand will affect my rollerskiing....

3 comments:

Tripper said...

Ouch! Left or right? Or better question, your working hand or non-working hand?

Kenmore said...

Right (working), but I have use of thumb and first finger so I can still sorta hold a pen.... but who uses a pen these days. Throw the mouse in your wrong hand and get back to work!!

Anonymous said...

How do you expect to film Bigfoot with busted fingers!(grin)