Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hiking ADK Firetowers

On Sunday, after Saturdays heavy trail mileage, I was up for something a little more sedate. I opted to go visit a few of the firetowers in the high peaks. I really enjoyed visiting Hurricane earlier in the summer and there are 22 other firetowers currently standing in the Adirondacks. Most of them are an easier walk when compared to clambering up a 4000-foot peak. Easier yes but by no means easy – they don’t put firetowers in the valleys so there is still some elevation to climb. That said the length of trail is typically much shorter for most of the peaks with firetowers and I chose some with a mile or two of trail so I could take stock after each short hike, assess how I felt and adjust my plans accordingly. In the end I visited Goodnow Mountain in the morning and then grabbed some lunch. In the afternoon I went to Mounts Arab and Azure firetowers and enjoyed all three – each in a unique mountainous setting. I also got to experience some of the backroads of the park and … ummm, get a little lost (and then found). Lots of other people had the same idea (to climb a firetower peak), as it was a perfect fall Sunday. Lots of families out on the trail enjoying the weather and the summits were busy spots.

Azure Mountain Firetower's shadow


We only have one firetower at home in the Gatineaus... and I seem to visit it regularly. I like the idea of firetowers in general. Having “Ranger Gord” sit in a little summit post all summer staring over the vast ocean of trees keeping them safe from harm seems an interesting approach. Of course today forest fires are monitored by satellite so the towers have long been abandoned (first replaced by plane surveys). In some cases the towers fell into decay but local community groups are conserving a number of them for their historical merit. There are also legal battles being fought to save a few of the towers, as these manmade structures don’t conform to the wilderness ethic of the Parks “forever wild” policies. Seems a shame to tear down a part of the past whose original purpose was to preserve and protect the park. From the size of the crowds I met on Sunday I would guess there are lots of others that support that idea as well. Certainly makes for a nice destination to take the family for a Sunday hike. ... and the view on a fall day - stunning!!

No comments: