Monday, September 17, 2007

Flagpole Hill


Flagpole Hill
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
Sunday I took a hike in Frontenac Park. The section of the Rideau trail that passes through the park is tough to do as a solo day hike and is really designed to be a through hike. Its about 12km of rugged walking from the Park entry to the Perth Village road crossing. As luck would have it my parents were off to Toronto on Sunday morning so I arranged with them to meet me at the Perth Village road and ferry me around to the Park gate so I could hike through the park and back to my car. It worked perfectly and I enjoyed a piece of the trail I have long wanted to hike.

The section of trail is a really pretty one passing many small lakes and bogs, climbing rugged Canadien shield and then diving deep into deciduous forests.... a real nice mix that was continually changing as I hiked along. The highlight was Flagpole hill which was a high granite rock that stood above the park with a good view in all directions. Only met a few people along the trail so it felt quite remote - perhaps more so than it actually was.

Fall was truly in the air as cool overnight temperatures (3C) made for a brisk start in the morning. By midday things warmed up and I had shed layers pretty quickly but it was a good reminder that colder temps lie ahead.

No comments: